Wednesday 17 November 2010

Political Action Needed For Net Neutrality In The UK

Government wants to abolish net neutrality in the UK. Not a piece of good news. I really like the way Siva has said it:

There are a couple of different ways to look at this. The romantic way is that we want to have the Internet as the wild frontier for entrepreneurship, and that's a strong case. There's also the liberal free speech argument, which says we want the Internet to be a level playing field so a variety of voices can enter the public sphere. That's a fairly strong argument. But then you've got the economic argument, which is those of us who write checks every month to these companies, we want to be able to know that we are getting decent service for what we're paying. If my broadband company next week starts dialing down my Skype speed so Skype doesn't work as well for me, I might not even know it or notice it for a long time, until Skype starts frustrating me, and out of frustration, I'm just going to pick up my old phone and dial India the old-fashioned way and just pay for it because I know the call's going to go through. That's the sort of frustration and opacity we might start seeing on the Internet. So it is a service question, a competition question, an economic development question, a consumer question.

I expect to see a political campaign started against this motion, similar to NO2ID. This I will wholeheartedly support.

No comments: